Using my blog to try and make the world a better place. If I can help someone forget their troubles for a few minutes a day, it's all worth it.

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):
I watch the ripples change their size, but never leave the stream of warm impermanent sand. So the days flow through my eyes but still the days seem the same. And these children that you spit on as they try to change their world are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through.

Sunday, December 05, 2010

Sunday Morning Comic:

I was never one to play with my food as a kid. If I was as creative as Calvin, I might have given it a shot.

4 comments:

Tom said...

they don't make 'em like that anymore.

Blast from the Past said...

Calvin & Hobbes - the undisputed best comic strip ever. I have EVERY one of his books. Thanks for sharing!

joe said...

Tom and Darryll: I really miss C&H. When I heard Bill Watterson was quitting the strip I was heartbroken.
Then I started thinking what an asshole that guy was to just quit the strip on everybody.

Blast from the Past said...

Hey, Joe -

Well - my take on it is this. I never got the feeling that he (Watterson) was recycling old material, or getting to where he wasn't funny anymore. We don't know, but he might have been nearing that threshold in the strip - at least in his own mind.

It seems there are a lot of things/people who don't know when to quit - Favre comes to mind, as well as some of the '70s bands who are still performing (I saw Hall & Oates on something awhile back and was genuinely embarrassed for them while sitting on the couch in my living room.) you get the idea. People who were great, but who should have quit a long time ago but insist on continuing to perform.

Watterson provided us with (I believe) 10 years of GREAT comics...every one is still a delight to go back and read again. He is extremely talented and was insanely successful. I hope that if I ever had a run like that, I'd have the good sense to stop while I'm on top and never be fodder for the "he should have quit a long time ago" cannon. Bill's living a great life off his success, and I say more power to him.

Who knows - maybe he's still creating comics as they come to him and someday he'll release a "The Later Years" C&B book. We can only hope for that... in the mean time, I'll pick up and read any of his books that I have and enjoy it every time I read it.

...my 2 cents :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails