Using my blog to try and make the world a better place. If I can help someone forget their troubles for a few minutes a day, it's all worth it.

Monday, March 02, 2015

A tale of two board games:


I've been trying to come up with something, as I'm kind of short on ideas lately. But because Sonya Ann keeps bugging me to come up with a new post, here goes:
Back around '73, our family was visiting a friend of my grandmother's. I was the only kid there and really had nothing to do. Nana's friend asked if I'd like to go into her granddaughter's room and see if she had any toys I wanted to play with. As I was rifling through her stuff, the granddaughter walked into the room and was rather annoyed I was invading her space. She was kind of a bitch, actually. I saw she had 2 Partridge Family board games, and as I was looking at them the grandmother asked if I wanted one. The granddaughter started to protest, and her grandmother got annoyed and said to her, "What are you whining about, you have TWO." To be honest I felt a little uncomfortable taking her stuff, but then I figured that she really wasn't being very friendly, and I knew I'd probably never see her again, so since it was a mutual dislike between the two of us, I accepted. I was actually given the better of the two. Sucked to be her. Yes, life's not fair, but it's great when it's unfair in your favor...

29 comments:

Diane said...

Was the game fun? Still have it?

joe said...

No my folks threw it out a long time ago. It was pretty lame. You'd draw "Partridge Family cards" that said things like "Mom won a beauty contest, move ahead 5 spaces". Or "Laurie is a member of the NOW generation, move ahead 3 spaces". but the graphics and game pieces were pretty cool.

Sonya Ann said...

I like to bug people, I'm good at it.
And that's awesome that you took the bitch's game. That grandma rocked!

joe said...

Yeah I scored big that night

Freethehumanbeings said...

Thanks for sharing this memory. As a true 70's kid, who watched old Partridge Family reruns in syndication after getting home from school, I have much affection for the Partridges. Yeah, their plots were corny and the music was square but those velvet suits were rad and their bus was the hippest thing since the Merry Pranksters. I had both a crush on Keith and a girl crush on Laurie. I still love to watch the show just for the clothes and the overall 70's vibe. Glad you got the game, even if it sucked.

joe said...

My favorite part of the show was actually the bus. I loved that thing. The game didn't really suck at the time because it was geared toward children. Only in retrospect it sucked ;^)

Sonya Ann said...

That's funny! Yes, that was a score.

Frances said...

I was totally in love with David Cassidy....for years....and I didn't even have a Partridge Family game. You were SO lucky! LOL!

joe said...

I was in love with the bus. Still am ;)

Dr. Theda said...

I remember as a kid , these TV "tie-in" games were very common...
and my Sister had the toy bus with figures...

joe said...

There was a toy bus??

Dr. Theda said...

Plastic with "press-board removable top....
Little "flat' hard-plastic "family" figures ( with large headed sticker of each)....
About the size for "Fisher price"....
and your comment about the road to Hell....
my friend (with the "addiction problem" is named "Travis"....LOL

joe said...

Hahahaa

Dr. Theda said...

Yes, he is back (for now) ... we will speak to his brother when he comes to town later today....
... We can picture him working for that Road Crew....

Freethehumanbeings said...

Joe, you need to update your blog! Please.

Dr. Theda said...

same "Travis" here now... hope that you had a great Halloween....
....

joe said...

Free: I know, but for now I've just run out of things to say.... who knew that would ever happen

Dr. T.: Well, not really.. but I hope you did. I hope somebody did

Linda said...

I am not a 70's child, but close...a 70's teen! I love disco and many things from this decade. :)

joe said...

'70s teen is good too ;)

Val said...

'Hope you're doing well, Joe, and that this year is good to you. :)

Val said...

Oh! As a 70s kid, do you remember these Tomy-brand water-filled pinball toys? I didn't know the brand name until a few days ago and have since found the two my family had when I was a kid. Here's one, and the other was the water-filled basketball hoops one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOMY-Pass-The-Nuts-vintage-tabletop-game-1974-retro-carnival-pinball-skill-toy/151980036027?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D35315%26meid%3D3469289bcdc540ccba6d0ca0554ef336%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D151947191451

Familiar? :) I was so happy to see this again.

joe said...

Thanks for sharing Val, but never saw them before. Hope all is well with you too :)

Dr. Theda said...

Hope that you and yours are well, my Friend...
Hello from Marshville...

Dr. Theda said...

Dear Lady Val, Those "Water games" were played by my Sister and me each weekend drive to visit Grand-Parents... Cool memory... Best to you and yours...

joe said...

Doin' good Dr. T.!

Dr. Theda said...

I hope that you have been well, my Friend...
Always enjoyed your nostalgic 70's posts...

joe said...

Doing well, but I'm kind of not posting any more....

Dr. Theda said...

We hope that you and yours had a great Halloween,my Friend...
and... Hello from Marshville...

joe said...

Hello from Vero Beach Dr. T. (: