Saturday, February 24, 2007
Although the above pictured Popeye gumball machine is copyrighted 1968, it was sold well into the early 70's. I had a few of these (not the Popeye version). I used to take out the bottom panel and retrieve the coin, I never let it fill up with change. And usually the gum would be gone in 2 days. Although millions of these things were made, they're not so easy to find these days.
Saturday, February 10, 2007
Monday, February 05, 2007
"My real name is Maureen Denise McCormick and I was born on August 5, 1956, in Encino, California. I’m 5’2 ¾” and weigh 94 pounds. I have blonde hair and blue eyes, and my favorite interests are singing, dancing, tennis, swimming and needlepoint."
Click on pics for a larger image.
Sunday, February 04, 2007
Back when I was 5 or 6 (1973/'74), dad bought a small rowboat and took me and mom fishing. I hate fishing, and I hate fish. The boat drifted into a small group of rocks near a tree, so dad stood up - in a rowboat - to push against the tree to get us free from the rocks. He fell overboard and mom laughed. He got really mad. We went home. Dad sold the boat. Except for the fishing aspect, I have no idea why the above cartoon brought that memory to mind, really....
Click picture for a larger image.
Click picture for a larger image.
Friday, February 02, 2007
DATING DO’S AND DON'TS
1. DO let him open doors for you, take your arm crossing streets, and other gentlemanly practices. He enjoys doing these things for you. It makes him feel protective of you, and consequently more masculine himself.
2. DON’T let the green-eyes monster get you. If you see him talking to another girl, it doesn’t necessarily mean he’s planning to dump you for her. Just keep your relationship on an even footing at all times.
3. DON’T be one of those people who can’t take teasing. Boys love to tease girls, and they don’t mean anything by it. Learn to take it as well as give it back. He’ll like you all the more for it.
4. DON’T use a boy as a stepping stone to get to one of his friends. You will not only have hurt another human being deeply, but you will have out-smarted yourself as well. Boys usually tend to stick together. Once the word gets out about what you’ve done, your name will be mud!
5. DO try to see things from the boy’s point of view sometimes. Don’t wear blinders that prevent you form taking notice of anything but that which is directly in your path.
6. DO be aware of his money situation. Arrange study dates or picnic or window- shopping outings to save on his finances.
7. DON’T neglect your girlfriends because you’ve started dating a boy. Find time for them, too, or you may find you don’t have a friend when you really need one.
8. DON’T act sentimental around him when friends are nearby. You could embarrass him, and they might not ever let him hear the end of it. Let him be proud of you in front of his friends.
9. DON’T monopolize him. He has other friends and activities as well as spending time with you, and so should you. You can kill a relationship by smothering it!
10. DON’T try to change him. You were attracted to him because he is the way he is. If you start changing him, he won’t be the same boy at all.
Is it just me, or does the word "Don'ts" up at the top not look right???? Click on the above URL for even more of Maureen's wise-beyond-her-years advice.