Using my blog to try and make the world a better place. If I can help someone forget their troubles for a few minutes a day, it's all worth it.

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):
I watch the ripples change their size, but never leave the stream of warm impermanent sand. So the days flow through my eyes but still the days seem the same. And these children that you spit on as they try to change their world are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through.

Monday, November 11, 2013

Had it:


Well I didn't, my folks did. It was the above model because I distinctly remember the yellow check-pattern on the coffee maker's face. I'd forgotten what the filter container boxes looked like. I think they got it sometime around '74. I'm not sure if that's when they were invented, but I'd never seen one before that. Prior to their Mr. Coffee, my folks had one of the old aluminum perkers with the glass knob at the top that to this day I have no idea how to use.
BTW, not to be too off-topic, but the spell-check wants me to change "perkers" to "porkers" or "peckers"...

9 comments:

Caffeinated Joe said...

Funny about the spell-check! I remember that maker, too, also remember the percolators. Used to love to watch them work. :)

ChiTown Girl said...

Yep, we had the same one. AND, of course, the percolator. =)

joe said...

CJ: porkers and peckers.. hah

CTG: So do you know how to use a percolator?? I tried once and the coffee was filled with coffee rinds

John H said...

Have a percolator and used it in my first apartment.. You can't use normal canned coffee. Must be a rough grind.

Super-Duper ToyBox said...

yep, i remember these :)

bOb Dobbs said...

The coffee urn we use at the drop in I work with is a giant percolator. (No glass knob though) Joe you filled the basket with too much ground coffee, fill it 2/3s full, you know the coffee's ready by the color of the brew (hence the glass knob) The big one we use has a thermometer shut off.

Glad the blogs back, born in '62 myself......

bOb Dobbs said...

The coffee urn we use at the drop in I work with is a giant percolator. (No glass knob though) Joe you filled the basket with too much ground coffee, fill it 2/3s full, you know the coffee's ready by the color of the brew (hence the glass knob) The big one we use has a thermometer shut off.

Glad the blogs back, born in '62 myself......

joe said...

John: Now you tell me

SDTB: When I got my own place, I did instant coffee for years. I finally bought a coffee machine a couple of months ago. Not Mr. Coffee though

bOb: I wonder if they still make percolators

John H said...

Found this. My mom's instructions for the stove top coffee maker when I moved out. Just thought it might be interesting:

Put coffee pot with water and heat. When it begins to boil put in stem, basket, and basket cover, and lid.

As soon as it begins perking lower flame to lowest point and time exactly 6 minutes.

2 cups- 1 and a half heaping scoop
5 cups- 2 soops.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails