Using my blog to try and make the world a better place. If I can help someone forget their troubles for a few minutes a day, it's all worth it.

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):
I watch the ripples change their size, but never leave the stream of warm impermanent sand. So the days flow through my eyes but still the days seem the same. And these children that you spit on as they try to change their world are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Post-'70s remembrance:

One of my top five '80s movies is The Breakfast Club. I know their characters were supposed to represent one of every kind of teenager, but I didn't fit in to one particular character. My favorite character was Judd Nelson's. I wanted to be a Judd Nelson, but I didn't have quite the chip on my shoulder. I wasn't a jock like Emilio, and I wasn't popular like Molly. I was kind of a cross between a Judd and an Anthony Michael Hall. I could sort of relate to Ally Sheedy's character, because back then I was kind of a misfit and for the most part I just didn't fit in with any crowd. I could watch that movie over and over.

8 comments:

Jaggerfan1 said...

I was alot like Ally Sheedy's character in high school. Mainly because I was not a jock, I was not popular, I was more quiet and never talked. I was like a monk taking a vow of silence. I never talked and when I did, it was always to compliment someone and make them feel good, although whenever people wanted to talk to me it was to insult me, or insult something about me, like my appearance or ask me a question I felt bad about, like this girl asking me if I was still a virgin. You don't ask someone that in public!

joe said...

Nobody asked me that question back then because I was so unpopular they apparantly already knew ;^)

J Mello said...

I was the weird, lone, Ally Sheedy character. I had ONE friend in high school, and my brother. Not good.

joe said...

I really loathed high school..

lazlo1988 said...

OMG... I always felt like I was a male version of the Ally Sheedy character, with some Anthony Michael Hall thrown in here and there. Cool. There are thus far 3 Ally Sheedy types here!! (with me having a touch of AMH too).

This movie is also a fave of mine from the 1980s. The ability to critique, and throw a monkey wrench in teen clique culture, is part of what made John Hughes so great!!

joe said...

He was like the Shakespeare of '80s film. His work is timeless.

Sunnydaze said...

Great movie. I'd have to say that I was also an Ally Sheedy in high school.

joe said...

All of us had some Ally in us. Who knew the her character's persona would be so universal.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails