Using my blog to try and make the world a better place. If I can help someone forget their troubles for a few minutes a day, it's all worth it.

Saturday, June 04, 2011

Misc.:

In the early '70s, my Aunt Nancy decided to go to school to become a teacher. Her daughters were getting older, and my Uncle worked a full time job and was just home at nights and on weekends, so she decided she'd rather start a career than just stay at home. She graduated around '76, and then taught kindergarten and later first grade until she retired about 5 years ago. Before she retired we were talking about it, and she told me that she had a very hard time getting her professors to give her the time of day. When I asked her "why", she replied "Because I was 30". Even as recently as back then, as far as they were concerned, she had no business being in school. She had 2 children and a husband, and a house to take care of. That kind of mindset seems so foreign to us now, but back then I guess that's just how it was.