Using my blog to try and make the world a better place. If I can help someone forget their troubles for a few minutes a day, it's all worth it.

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):
I watch the ripples change their size, but never leave the stream of warm impermanent sand. So the days flow through my eyes but still the days seem the same. And these children that you spit on as they try to change their world are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through.

Wednesday, February 02, 2011

The Bob Newhart Show:

My family didn't watch this back in the day. Mom couldn't stand the show, dad couldn't have cared one way or the other, and I was too young to appreciate it. It was a bit too sophisticated for me. I did see a re-run a few years ago, and I kind of liked it (... well, except for that hideous fake paneling plastered all over those walls. I'm so glad that fad has come and gone).

15 comments:

Robin@DecoratingTennisGirl said...

I loved the Newhart show. I just watched an episode this morning on DVD!

joe said...

Didn't Suzanne Pleschette pass away last year?

Marco said...

Loved this show and yes Suzanne Pleschette did recently pass away. I believe Tom Poston did as well a few years back. He wasn't a huge part of the show but Bob Newhart brought him over to play the handyman of the Inn in "Newhart".

I found it interesting that he had 3 shows all with his name... "The Bob Newhart Show", "Newhart" and "Bob". Great brand name marketing. If it was someone else I'd say it was an ego trip but he always seemed to be a humble guy.

joe said...

BoB?? Never heard of that one.

joe said...

Remember Larry Darryl and Darryl's Minuteman Cafe and their "Bucket O' Bits" in the 80's series???

LaraAnn said...

My mom liked this show. I saw some episodes and it's pretty good.

SkylersDad said...

I loved this show, it was great!

Nona Nita said...

The shows were good but I really enjoyed listening to Bob Newhart comedy records. All of his telephone skits were hilarious and you could listen to them over and over again until you memorized them...didn't stop you from laughing each time, though.

Marco said...

Bob didn't go on that long (1992)... 1-1/2 seasons. He was a cartoonist. Did a search and Lisa Kudrow (friends) was on the show too but didn't remember anything about her. Maybe she played his daughter.

joe said...

Nona: I've heard about those skits, but never actually heard them.

Marco: I guess that was just before friends. I'm sure Lisa's glad Bob ended when it did.

Anonymous said...

That picture is actually from "The Bob Newhart Show 19th Anniversary Special" which aired sometime in the early 90s. It picks up where the finale to "Newhart" left off, with Bob Hartley going into work the next day and still trying to work out the meaning of the weird dream he had about being an innkeeper in Vermont. It ended with him encountering Larry, Darrel and Darrel in the office elevator as he's leaving.

joe said...

That's too funny. I had no idea.

Toemailer said...

Good ol Newhart lol

joe said...

Yeah I really like Bob. Seems whatever he does is good.

preoccupied with 19 19 1975 said...

In college we eagerly awaited afternoon reruns of this show, because it involved the best. drinking. game. ev-uhhh!!

Whenever someone on the show said "Bob", that signaled that you were to take a sip of your beer/wine/everclear/whatever drink of choice, but if an actor said, "Hi, Bob", then you had to finish whatever was still left in your mug/glass/shoe whatever.

Sheesh, I wouldn't make it beyond the first commercial break if I tried to play that idiotic, alkie-enabling, brain-cell-destroying game today.

Sigh. Good times. Good times indeed.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails