Using my blog to try and make the world a better place. If I can help someone forget their troubles for a few minutes a day, it's all worth it.

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):
I watch the ripples change their size, but never leave the stream of warm impermanent sand. So the days flow through my eyes but still the days seem the same. And these children that you spit on as they try to change their world are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through.

Monday, April 30, 2012

The Velveteen Rabbit:

I read this one alot circa '73. I was usually into happy stories, but this one had a touch of bittersweet to it, so I didn't keep the book for long. It broke my heart when the toy rabbit had to be thrown out and destroyed. And even though it was turned into a real rabbit in the end, the rabbit had changed and the friendship with the boy was over, and things could never be the same as they once were. I don't know if this is the intended moral of the story, but this book makes me realize that time changes people, and friendships quite often don't last because through life's circumstances we're always evolving as individuals, our personalities change and eventually we part ways. I often say "my friends", but they're actually never really mine - they're only "on loan" for awhile and sooner or later they're gone. Family will always be family, but you can never take your friends for granted - enjoy them while you have them, because 'friends for life' are rare, no matter how permanent the friendship may seem to be.

6 comments:

lazlo1988 said...

This is so true. People come in and out of our lives, and time changes people. And friendships sadly come and go too. Sadly, such is life.

Janet said...

Similarly, when I was a kid I could never listen to that stupid Puff the Magic Dragon song without crying.

joe said...

Do you guys remember that song "Wildfire" about a pony that breaks out of its stall during a blizzard and the girl who owns it gets lost in the blizzard looking for it, and dies??? I found it to be more bad than sad, though..

Janet said...

Yeah, I remember Wildfire: Michael Martin Murphey. That one was pretty bad. And then there was "Shannon," about a dog that died.

joe said...

Shannon was a dog?????

Janet said...

Yep. "His first single release on the label, Shannon, a song written about the passing of Beach Boy Carl Wilson's Irish Setter of the same name . . . ." (from Henry Gross's site)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails