Using my blog to try and make the world a better place. If I can help someone forget their troubles for a few minutes a day, it's all worth it.

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):
I watch the ripples change their size, but never leave the stream of warm impermanent sand. So the days flow through my eyes but still the days seem the same. And these children that you spit on as they try to change their world are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through.

Thursday, September 03, 2009

The church bell chimed 'til it rang 29 times for each man on the Edmund Fitzgerald:

"Does any one know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours? The searchers all say they'd have made Whitefish Bay if they'd put fifteen more miles behind 'er. They might have split up or they might have capsized; they may have broke deep and took water. And all that remains is the faces and the names of the wives and the sons and the daughters."



The Edmund Fitzgerald sank on November 10, 1975. When the song came out in '76, it kind of scared me. I also remember feeling sad for the surviving family members. You can read more here.
(On a side-note, I never had the urge to scuba dive and check out old shipwrecks. It just looks so cold and dark down there...)

11 comments:

grannyann said...

I have always had a fascination with the Titanic. I was lucky enough some years back to go to OK City and see a display of the items they have brought up from that wreck. It was eerie!!

joe said...

Sunken ships seem so ghostly. You can almost sense the "hauntedness" of them.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I love that song.

joe said...

Me too. I think it's one of the best of that year.

Sunshinemeg said...

Wow, that is tragic. There is something about scuba diving that gives me the creeps. I have never done it and am afraid I would get stuck way down there and the air would stop. A sunken ship is a whole new can of worms. Those pirate ghosts would wipe the poop deck with me.

Ha, I found a way to leave a comment for you and say poop. My gift to you.

joe said...

You can say poop on my comment pages anytime.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

"On the lake that they called Gitchie Gummi"...best line in a song about a boat EVER!

Kurtis said...

I remember hearing that Gordon Lightfoot did the craziest thing in leaving the rights of the song to all the surviving families of the Edmund Fitzgerald. While that was nice of him to do, it's a major hassle for any studio that wants to use the song in a movie.

joe said...

Cal: I always liked the phrase "ice water mansions". I don't know why..

Kurtis: I didn't know that. That was very gracious of him. I wonder if he's still alive, I haven't heard anything about him in ages.

blueroc85 said...

I love to learn about shipwrecks. I would really like to see the items from Titanic they have on display at the aquarium in Atlanta GA.

joe said...

I would too. My uncle's got a wine bottle from the ship. It's all covered with barnacles. It's really cool to look at.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails