Using my blog to try and make the world a better place. If I can help someone forget their troubles for a few minutes a day, it's all worth it.

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):
I watch the ripples change their size, but never leave the stream of warm impermanent sand. So the days flow through my eyes but still the days seem the same. And these children that you spit on as they try to change their world are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through.

Friday, September 04, 2009

Going for coffee:

In the early 70's, it wasn't uncommon for mom to say "Come on Joe, we're heading to so-and-so's house for coffee". Then we'd go to their house where she and mom would have coffee and talk (sometimes several moms), while us kids would go off and play. Sometimes they'd come to our place, but mostly we'd go over to their house. Those were fun and simple times. I think that's a lost custom, however, especially now that the majority of women aren't stay-at-home moms.

8 comments:

Dr. Monkey said...

I remember going with my mom to other people houses for coffee. The grown ups would drink coffee and I'd be put in front of the TV.

joe said...

When we wanted to hang out at the table, the adults would always send us away too...

Wings said...

Oh yeah, I remember my aunt coming down the street (she lived like 5 houses away) and her and my mom would have coffee, or my uncle after work. Just sit and chat.

I don't know ANYONE who does that these days.

Love the pic! :)

joe said...

Thanks! I saw it in a search result and I couldn't resist it... ;^)

Hairball said...

Joe,
I remember how the ladies would frequently have a homemade coffeecake or other dessert to enjoy with your coffee ( or milk for the kids). Yum!

joe said...

I miss those days (you know, free coffee and dessert...).

Jacque Nodell said...

I used to love tagging along with my mom to neighbors' houses, where they would drink coffee and sew. I always thought it was more fun to listen to their grown-up talk than play with the other kids!

joe said...

Haha it was that way when mom took me to visit one of her friends. the house was incredibly dirty, messy, and it stank, and i didn't like her kids much..

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails