Using my blog to try and make the world a better place. If I can help someone forget their troubles for a few minutes a day, it's all worth it.

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):
I watch the ripples change their size, but never leave the stream of warm impermanent sand. So the days flow through my eyes but still the days seem the same. And these children that you spit on as they try to change their world are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through.

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Just how big a show was "All In The Family", in 1973???

In the early 70's (probably through '74), it was tv-show suicide to be scheduled opposite All In The Family (just as it was, 5 years ago, for any program to be scheduled opposite "American Idol"). There had never been a show, in the history of television, that hit the raw nerve of America the way that A.I.T.F. did. Some people literally changed their plans so they could be home to watch this show. It changed television programming almost overnight. Only a handful of other shows could make this claim. The importance of All In The Family in television history cannot be overstated.

11 comments:

Wil said...

I was just talking about this show last night. Can you even imagine this show getting on the air nowadays? It would never happen, people would be protesting all over the place!

Wil Harrison.com

joe said...

Apparantly the first few shows had a type of disclaimer saying that it was all in fun.. sort of a type of "please don't shoot the messenger" kind of thing...

Hairball said...

I'm embarrassed to admit this but, my father loved AITF because he shared many of Archie's prejudices. For some reason, he never clued into the fact that Archie was not supposed to be a role model. *blushes*

I enjoyed seeing the picture of the TV guide featuring Susan St. James and Rock Hudson. I am a big fan of McMillan and Wife and several other shows that were at one time part of The NBC Mystery Movie series.

If I were an eccentric billionaire, I'd start my own TV station that showed '70s programming 24 hours a day.

joe said...

If you were a billionaire, maybe you could "loan" us a couple of $M a piece... Wil and I will put it to good use. Really.

Tom said...

I just discovered your blog. Love it!
Tom
(born 1976)

joe said...

Thanks Tom, glad you're here :)

Anonymous said...

Tremendously important show, and really hard to understand how influential and radical it was unless you were there at the time. Very difficult to watch today, though. Not only topical and "of its time", but loud and frantic. It hasn't aged well.

joe said...

I agree. Every fashion goes out of style, even fashionable tv shows i'm afraid.

givepeace05401 said...

It was the first show I remember that we would call relatives at the commerical break to discuss.

Those "I can't believe he said that" conversations made AITF must see tv.

joe said...

I think they were also the first sitcom family to actually have toilets in their bathroom.
That actually flushed.

Goggles Piasano Ritardo said...

That show still kicks ass.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails