Using my blog to try and make the world a better place. If I can help someone forget their troubles for a few minutes a day, it's all worth it.

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):
I watch the ripples change their size, but never leave the stream of warm impermanent sand. So the days flow through my eyes but still the days seem the same. And these children that you spit on as they try to change their world are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through.

Monday, January 11, 2010

Not fair:


When I was a kid I wanted an Easy Bake Oven, but was embarrassed to ask for one because they were a "girl's toy" (like boys weren't going to need to know how to cook someday....).

10 comments:

kimber p said...

my youngest son asked for one too when he was around 6, I was happy to get him one because I'd raised both of my boys in the kitchen. Cooking comes natural to both of them and there's nothing shameful or 'girlish' about it, everyone needs to become independent. Hell, they even had those vacuums and brooms and dustpans to help clean up, as well...

jm_kaye said...

I asked my mother for an Easy Bake oven when I was a kid, and she said, "You don't need one, we have a real oven." Then she taught me how to cook. My mother could drain the fun out of anything.

Ally said...

Every child should have a toy oven. I had the Holly Hobbie oven :) it took soooo long for those little cakes to cook with that light bulb heating the cake batter ha ha!

Tales Of A Fourth Grade Nothing

joe said...

I would've loved to be able to bake a cake for myself whenever i wanted.

glows said...

I had one as a kid and it never really cooked anything. The fact that it never cooked any of the cakes sucked because that was the whole purpose of it. And, my older brothers played with it just as me. A toy is a toy and just because it's an oven doesn't mean it's just meant for girls. Some of my little cousins would probably love an easy bake oven. If only the sucker worked the way they said it would...

joe said...

Man what a whiner...

Anonymous said...

I guess it took a while to bake, but I remember my little cakes being just perfect! So there!
:-) I think they still make them. Would be a great gift for my friend's kids...

Chris said...

When I was a kid a girl down the street had a crush on me, so she'd make me cakes every few days with her Easy Bake Oven. One day she just started making them for another kid. I was heartbroken... not because she didn't like me, but I loved the cakes.

Uncle Buckeye said...

To recycle an old Letterman joke:

"The guy who invented the Easy Bake Oven died the other day.
He was cremated using a 100 watt light bulb."

joe said...

Anon: Well, since I didn't get one, I don't feel sorry that they didn't get one either ;^)

Chris: See all the fun I missed out on??????

Uncle Buck: haha

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails