Using my blog to try and make the world a better place. If I can help someone forget their troubles for a few minutes a day, it's all worth it.

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like Bobby Brady in this pic?????):

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like Bobby Brady in this pic?????):
I watch the ripples change their size, but never leave the stream of warm impermanent sand. So the days flow through my eyes but still the days seem the same. And these children that you spit on as they try to change their world are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through.

Friday, October 08, 2010

Charlie And The Chocolate Factory:

I read this book back around 1978, and I liked it so much better than the Gene Wilder movie. I thought the illustrations were excellent. My favorite part of the book was the story about the prince who built his castle out of chocolate, and he woke up on a hot day and his castle had melted. I didn't see the Johnny Depp movie version, although yesterday at Best Buy I was watching the scene with Veruca in the squirrel room, and I must say I found it kind of disturbing ...

10 comments:

Wings said...

Never read the book, but both films are creepy in their own ways!

sunnydaze said...

I, too, read the book around '78 and enjoyed the illustrations very much. I like books in that you can create your own picture in your mind. I thought that both movies were disturbing. :/

joe said...

Wings and Sunny: I guess it really is a rather dark story. But somehow the book doesn't seem as dark as the films.

Kal said...

I have such good memories of the book as a kid. We read this, 'Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator' and 'James and the Giant Peach' then went to see Willie Wonka at the theatre as a class. His four grandparents sleeping in the same bed, the cabbage soup and the fact that his father had a job screwing the tops onto toothpaste tubes. That always made me side.

joe said...

Talk about a dead-end job..

Trigger said...

This was a good book and the movie with Gene Wilder is a classic

joe said...

Did you see the Johnny Depp version? I'd kind of like to see it.

Manor West Nightclub said...

Manor West focuses on three basic elements to stand out in the San Francisco Nightlife scene: the design, the crowd and the talent. As you walk into Manor West, you are greeted by an impressive 30 ft backdrop designed by Yelena Yemchuk, former Creative Director for the Smashing Pumpkins. The rest of the interior, a direct antithesis to the unassuming (and almost hidden) exterior of the venue, feels comfortable and spacious with high oak ceilings and a raised VIP bottle service area.
http://www.manorwestsf.com

The 4,500 square foot venue has the feel of a smaller, more intimate venue. Creative placement of bars, bathrooms and VIP areas solve the flow problems that some clubs can experience on busy nights by releasing bottlenecks and making it easier to access the essential features of the club. Raised VIP booths surround the DJ Booth and allow VIP groups access to a private area with views of the entire club while a large VIP area in the back of the club allows groups of 20 to 30 to celebrate together. Talent like Caroline D’Amore, DJ Spider, Dirt Nasty, Andre Legacy and local favorites Designer Djs, Cams and Zhaldee have already graced the decks and SF can look forward to an impressive lineup of top notch DJs and bands to show up throughout 2010.

joe said...

Damn spammers..

joe said...

... Blogger needs to update their spam-prevention. Just sayin'.

Related Posts with Thumbnails