Using my blog to try and make the world a better place. If I can help someone forget their troubles for a few minutes a day, it's all worth it.

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like Bobby Brady in this pic?????):

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like Bobby Brady in this pic?????):
I watch the ripples change their size, but never leave the stream of warm impermanent sand. So the days flow through my eyes but still the days seem the same. And these children that you spit on as they try to change their world are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through.

Friday, March 18, 2011

Hitching a ride:

In the '70s people were always hitch-hiking. I know a couple of people who hitched across the country in the early '70s. When I was a teenager in the '80s, there were alot of PSAs on TV and the radio, as well as a couple of made-for-tv movies, about the dangers of hitching, and from then on not too many people did it. As I look at the above pic, judging from the tight-fitting shirt she's wearing, I'm sure it didn't take the above chick too long to snag a ride..

3 comments:

Sunnydaze said...

Now that I think of it you're right about all of the hitch-hikers in the 70's. I think it had something to do with carry over from the hippie movement mindset where everyone was your brother and you just helped each other out.

It reminds me of the gass, grass or ass t-shirts and stickers back then.

Rem. that CCR song "Sweet Hitchhiker"? Love it.

Blast from the Past said...

Yeah - hitchhiking was a very common thing to do back in the '70s. I never did it, but I remember how common it was to see people hitching a ride.

I think my folks even picked up a guy hitchhiking once and had nothing but good things to say about him and the experience. We kids were all amazed that they had done that - it was nothing like who they are.

Totally different world today - hardly ever see anyone thumbing a ride anymore, and freeway ramps are more often just the squatting place of beggars.

it was an idealistic and free-wheeling idea to just grab a ride and go for it... no cares, no worries, no responsibility. Can't say that doesn't have some draw to it! :)

Main Line Sportsman said...

In high school we hitch-hiked all over the place in our area...never see anyone doing it now.

Related Posts with Thumbnails