Using my blog to try and make the world a better place. If I can help someone forget their troubles for a few minutes a day, it's all worth it.

Saturday, June 04, 2011

Misc.:

In the early '70s, my Aunt Nancy decided to go to school to become a teacher. Her daughters were getting older, and my Uncle worked a full time job and was just home at nights and on weekends, so she decided she'd rather start a career than just stay at home. She graduated around '76, and then taught kindergarten and later first grade until she retired about 5 years ago. Before she retired we were talking about it, and she told me that she had a very hard time getting her professors to give her the time of day. When I asked her "why", she replied "Because I was 30". Even as recently as back then, as far as they were concerned, she had no business being in school. She had 2 children and a husband, and a house to take care of. That kind of mindset seems so foreign to us now, but back then I guess that's just how it was.

3 comments:

Ally said...

I can't even imagine that. Wow! Good for Aunt Nancy!

FourthGradeNothing.com

joe said...

Of course, after the graduation, she started acting like she was smarter than everyone...

joe said...

Kidding!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails