Using my blog to try and make the world a better place. If I can help someone forget their troubles for a few minutes a day, it's all worth it.

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):
I watch the ripples change their size, but never leave the stream of warm impermanent sand. So the days flow through my eyes but still the days seem the same. And these children that you spit on as they try to change their world are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through.

Sunday, November 08, 2009

The Killer Bees:

In 1976, scientists told us that swarms of killer bees were migrating towards the border of Mexico and Texas, and if they crossed the border successfully into Texas, the human race basically had 10 more years to exist before the bees wiped us out. The above was the response from Saturday Night Live.

16 comments:

Tom said...

Oh, I never knew about the news story behind the bee characters. Thanks.

joe said...

Also, in 1980, all the planets were supposed to line up just right, and we were going to see huge tidal waves and the end of the world as we knew it. Thank goodness I survived that one..

C said...

yeah those older episodes from SNL were the ferkin best, werent they? its not so funny now. belushi, chase, gilda, jane you ignorant slut.... they were all the best... never to be topped!

c

joe said...

SNL was the first time I ever heard the word "slut". No one would tell me what that meant..

blueroc85 said...

The news was still talking about the killer bee invasion in the early 90's! My dad used to keep honey bees. These africanized killer bees were supposed to wipe out all the honeybees and cause honeybeeswax shortages.....but this never happened, at least not in Illinois where I grew up.

blueroc85 said...

P.S. When I was into SNL, Adam Sandler, David Spade, Chris Farley, etc.. were on. That time period is funniest to me. I do appreciate some of the older sketches like where Dan Akroyd peddles the dangerous childrens toys and costumes (Bag-o-glass and Johnny Pedestrian)

joe said...

In "The Swarm" Katherine ross's character got stung by one killer bee, and she nearly died.. it was beyond absurd...

joe said...

.. Johnny Pedestrian... haha I must've missed that one.

Mnmom said...

I was a kid for the original SNL season. I never really thought the killer bee stuff was funny but I laughed my teen ass off at Emily Litella, the bag-a-glass, and bass-a-matic.

joe said...

Once in awhile i'll look at some of the old transcripts and laugh my ass off. I was going to post a "killer bee" transcript under this post's pic, but it was really lame.

blueroc85 said...

There is also Johnny space man which consists of a large rubber band and a plastic bag, LOL!

Freida Bee, MD said...

It still may not be too late for us to meet our ends via killer bees.

Won't environmentalists feel silly, then. ;)

Freida Bee, MD said...

And, on top of that, we have to worry about the Jellyfish. It's what our children will blog about when they have their 00's Child blogs. ;)

joe said...

Blueroc: Hahah

Freida: I got stung by a jellyfish in Hawaii once. I had tentacle marks on my arms for, like, a week..

Hairball said...

Joe, was The Swarm the one where they are trying to trap the bees in some sports stadium and there's an old VW bug?

I grew up in Texas, and I remember being scared that the killer bees would come to my town!

Momster said...

I had the paperback of The Swarm, which was alot different than the movie, and just as pulpy bad. And yes, the movie did end with the VW bug (ha ha bug) driving into the Astrodome in Houston, where they turned up the airconditioner so high all the bees died. Except one, of course, that crawled away--I guess they were hoping for a sequel.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails