Using my blog to try and make the world a better place. If I can help someone forget their troubles for a few minutes a day, it's all worth it.

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):
I watch the ripples change their size, but never leave the stream of warm impermanent sand. So the days flow through my eyes but still the days seem the same. And these children that you spit on as they try to change their world are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through.

Monday, February 08, 2010

The Haunting Of Hill House by Shirley Jackson:

"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream. Hill House, not sane, stood by itself against its hills, holding darkness within; it had stood so for eighty years and might stand for eighty more. Within, walls continued upright, bricks met neatly, floors were firm, and doors were sensibly shut; silence lay steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House, and whatever walked there, walked alone."

6 comments:

joe said...

For the record, I've never read the book, only the excerpt I published (It's one of the opening quotes in Stephen King's "salem's lot". However, I came across the pic when I did an image search for "ghost towns", and thought the two just fit.

Wings said...

I SO want to read this!

grannyann said...

Seems like I have read that many years ago.

joe said...

I heard it's really good. I might try and find a copy.

Wendel said...

I had to read the book as part of an English class in High school. On the cover was the a cast shot of the 1963 movie(Julie Harris/ Claire Bloom).

Soon after I saw the "remake" Legend of Hell House with Roddy McDowall and Pamela Franklin.
(wow, did I have a crush on her)

Good book and good movies.

joe said...

I don't remember Pamela Franklin... I'll have to do an image search..

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails