Using my blog to try and make the world a better place. If I can help someone forget their troubles for a few minutes a day, it's all worth it.

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):
I watch the ripples change their size, but never leave the stream of warm impermanent sand. So the days flow through my eyes but still the days seem the same. And these children that you spit on as they try to change their world are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through.

Monday, February 15, 2010

Mammoth Mart (I'm not really sure if I posted about this or not before):

I couldn't have been more than 5 when the local Mammoth Mart went out of business. And I was too young to really remember the kind of stuff they sold there (from the outside it looked like a grocery store). Judging from the flier they were the first Walmart-type store. I remember the Fotomat booth closing not long after that, not that the 2 had any bearing on the other, of course...

13 comments:

grannyann said...

that's a new one on me. never heard of one of those. noticed your cans of mammoth chunks - never had any of those either. must be an eastern thing, huh?

joe said...

Mammoth Chunks at under 10 bucks a can? I doubt they lasted long at that giveaway price.

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

I've never heard of these store either. funny though.
<><

mary said...

There used to be a Mammoth Mart near my house in RI in the 60's. Pretty funky place...

Joe said...

u local Mammoth Mart turn into a Mars barganland?

allen hall said...

there was a mammouth mart at cobbs corner in canton mass where i grew up.my mother and grandmother helped me buy my first riding tractor at mammouth mart for $ 350.00. they went
under around the time i moved out of state( 1978). it was a 1970 huffy tractor. 5 hp briggs and stratton
and it was red and white. i had that tractor until 1997 when it fell apart. i am trying to find another one i can rebuild. i just loved that tractor. mowed more lawns than any pc of junk can do today. that was the good old days.
there was a kings store there in 1981 when i came back for a visit.
my family used to purchase huffy bikes there for years. i also remember a western auto store near there. that was a cool place
to get everything.

allen hall said...

i grew up in canton mass and there was a mamouth mart at cobbs corner
for years. i know they went under
around the time i moved out of state
(1979). my mother and grandmother
helped me by my first lawn tractor
at mamoth mart for $ 350.00. it was a 1970 huffy riding tractor. 5 hp briggs and stratton. i had that tractor until 1997 when it just fell to pieces. im trying to find another one that i can rebuild. those were the good old days

joe said...

I grew up in Raynham Mass. I'm not sure how far away Canton was.
I don't quite remember buying anything at Mammoth Mart. Mom used to go in once in awhile, but I was pretty young when it closed.

Anonymous said...

Mammoth Mart was a discount department store chain, similar to K-mart, located mostly in the Northeast. I grew up in Amesbury, Mass, and there was a Mammoth Mart in neighbouring Salisbury. They filed Chapter 11 in 1974, and, as an above poster said, went out of business in 1978. King's, another now-defunct department store chain, bought the out, and subsequently also went out of business in the early 1980s.

joe said...

Hmmm, never heard of King's..

allen hall said...

i went into a k-mart store in ellisville mo the other day. it looked just like the mammoth mart in canton mass that i remember. it was like walking back 35 yrs ago-blew my mind that stores are still like this. there were some changes though. like cameras back then were kodak 126 or 110 film. today i have a fuji 12 megipixel. i remember the big high tech gadget on a car was chryslers lean burn system-today cars are a nightmare of gadgets and bs. the bike dept doesn't have huffys anymore but there all lined up and shiny just as i remember them. what a trip that was.

allen hall said...

they are still selling cb radios at the k-mart store in mo-my first cb radio i bought was at mammoth mart and i was driving at that time a 1971 amc gremlin-that was back in 1974-75 i am getting old

joe said...

Don't feel bad. None of us are getting any younger.. ;^)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails