Using my blog to try and make the world a better place. If I can help someone forget their troubles for a few minutes a day, it's all worth it.

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):
I watch the ripples change their size, but never leave the stream of warm impermanent sand. So the days flow through my eyes but still the days seem the same. And these children that you spit on as they try to change their world are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through.

Friday, July 15, 2011

1972 Big Jim Camper:

I received one of these for the Christmas of 1972, when I'd just turned 5. I pleaded for this one for months. Once I got it, I never used it. That happened quite frequently with me. Seems I thought I really wanted something when the whole time I really couldn't have cared less. Now that I think about it, I'm surprised I got anything I asked for after that, but somehow my folks kept falling for it...

11 comments:

Caffeinated Joe said...

Never had this, but my brother and I used to tick off my sister by playing with her Barbie camper thing, which was basically, cardboard coated with a vinyl/plastic coating.

Mnmom said...

That's exactly the Barbie camper 'cept in a different color and sans all the girly flowers.

joe said...

CJ and Mom: And Bab's camper had a cool pop-out tent that Joe's camper didn't have. Don't ask me how I know this..

Kal said...

I was a huge Big Jim fan and had this camper. Of course I had to outfit it with a machine gun from my GI Joes. The campgrounds can be a dangerous place.

joe said...

haha yes they can

david_b said...

Lucky you had a van..: I had just gotten into GI Joes (after Captain Action..) around '72 and it was tough enough getting a vehicle. My boys had to walk everywhere, until I strung up one of my vintage major matt mason jetpacks and they used that. We did have the black inflatable raft, but it's tough to have hi-speed chases in that..

I remember only having one guy (Talking Commander) and my mom would either allow me to spend my money on another Joe or the ATV. In the spirit of commradery, I opted for the buddy. It was a tough choice.

joe said...

If I'd known, I would've given you mine. Now you tell me..

Chris said...

I had the Big Jim Camper as well as the plane. I thought they were SO cool.

I also had a Big Josh who used to tool around with Big Jim. Josh was just like Jim but with a full beard. Even as a kid I had a crush on Josh.

I will often describe these guys to my friends: campers, planes, lots of 'sporty' outfits, nothing military... and they think I'm making it up.

My sister often jokes that Big Jim made me gay. I laugh and tell her "No, it was Josh."

joe said...

They were "The Village People" of the action figure world..

Anonymous said...

Big Jim's Camper = Big Gay Jim's Love Mobile :P)

joe said...

Hahaa yeah it was.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails