Using my blog to try and make the world a better place. If I can help someone forget their troubles for a few minutes a day, it's all worth it.

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like Bobby Brady in this pic?????):

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like Bobby Brady in this pic?????):
I watch the ripples change their size, but never leave the stream of warm impermanent sand. So the days flow through my eyes but still the days seem the same. And these children that you spit on as they try to change their world are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through.

Monday, May 21, 2012

From "Castles In The Air" by Don McLean:

"And if she asks you why, you can tell her that I told you that I'm tired of castles in the air. I've got a dream I want the world to share; in castle walls just leave me to despair. Hills of forest green where the mountains touch the sky - a dream come true, I'll live there 'til I die. I'm asking you to say my last goodbye. The love we knew ain't worth another try. Save me from all the trouble and the pain, I know I'm weak but I can't face that girl again. Tell her the reasons why I can't remain - perhaps she'll understand if you tell it to her plain. Oh, but how can words express the feel of sunlight in the morning, in the hills far away from strife. I need a country woman for my wife. For I cannot be part of her "cocktail generation partner's waltz", devoid of all romance - the music plays and everyone must dance; I'm bowing out, I need a second chance."

4 comments:

apemanbela44 said...

What a great song. I really know very little about Don McLean besides the obvious. I'll have to check out some more of his music.

My "country girl" wife keeps me centered and grounded. She's the best thing that's ever happened to me.

Kind of funny that she saw Don McLean in concert many years ago with her dad. The crowd was a bit unruly and it was easy to tell that most of them only knew him for American Pie. He ended up playing a shorter set and played an abbreviated version of Pie out of frustration.

joe said...

Yeah I think this song was highly under-rated. The lyrics are poetry. After I posted this, I got to thinking that maybe he was really talking about city penthouses, not actual castles.

Anonymous said...

Don lived for many years in the Hudson Valley. He has said that the inspiration for the song 'Castles In The Air' came while looking at the large houses/chateaux which apparently exist high above that river in some places.

Metaphorically in the song I think you are right that the phrase could represent tall buildings in a city, or indeed just the city lifestyle in a broader sense.

One of Don's best songs, the opening song on his first album, and one that he still almost always includes in concerts.

Whilst I think American audiences largely see Don as the 'American Pie' man and are sometimes unprepared to listen to less well-known material, European audiences have always welcomed a much broader range of his talent.

We look forward to welcoming him back to the other side of the pond on a major tour in October and November.

joe said...

Thanks for the insight.
It just sounded like, in the song, that he's stuck in the city life and wants to live in the country and slow down.
I also like "Vincent", "Empty Chairs", and "Everybody Loves Me Baby". There wasn't much he put out that I didn't care for.

Related Posts with Thumbnails