Using my blog to try and make the world a better place. If I can help someone forget their troubles for a few minutes a day, it's all worth it.

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like Bobby Brady in this pic?????):

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like Bobby Brady in this pic?????):
I watch the ripples change their size, but never leave the stream of warm impermanent sand. So the days flow through my eyes but still the days seem the same. And these children that you spit on as they try to change their world are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Sneaker Roller Skates:

In 1978, I had a pair of sneaker roller skates. In fact, I had the above models: blue satin sides, blue suede toe and heal, 4 white stripes on each side, yellow wheels and stopper, and yellow laces. I practiced roller skating in dad's basement. I was able to turn around as I skated so I was skating backward, but for some reason wasn't able to turn back around so once I started skating backward I had to stay backward until I stopped. I remember the roller skating rinks wouldn't allow you to wear these in their facilities; they said it ruined the surface of the rink, but really it was so that you'd have to rent theirs. I haven't roller skated since around '83, and the older I get the less likely it is that I'll start again. I loved roller skating as a kid.

8 comments:

ChiTown Girl said...

I LIVED in my roller skates when I was a kid!! We had a big patio in our yard, and my best friend and I used to practice skating backwards around it all the time. We thought we were so cool!

All the "cool" kids used to go to the rink every Saturday, but we never did. I finally decided to beg my parents to let me go one Saturday when I was in 5th grade. Yeah, well, guess who broke her wrist about an hour after she got there. Yup! The was the last time I ever went to Saturday skate at the rink. :(

10 years ago, my brother's girlfriend's family had a surprise 30th birthday party for her at the roller rink near their home. It was just too cute! And, believe it or not, my mom, sister and I actually put skates on and made a few loops around the floor. All I kept thinking was, "What the hell am I gonna break tonight?!"

Retro Hound said...

I was just thinking about this the other day. I used to roller skate quite a bit and loved it. Plus, it's better exercise for the kids than Black Ops or whatever that game is called.

Janet said...

I was hopeless at roller skating. I longed to glide effortlessly around the rink, holding hands with this particular cute boy while the disco ball glimmered, but it was not to be . . . .

Kionon said...

Pick up ice skating. Same idea.

I haven't been rollerskating/blading in many years, but I ice skate as often as I am able.

Dr. Theda said...

I got a pair of those for Christmas one year never really learned to skate very well... I have enough bad falls without skates ...so I stopped skating after one rather nasty crash ... Ended up in the other room of the skating rink in a heap partially wrapped around the legs of a "Fooze-Ball" table... Never tried to skate again...

Sarah T said...

After living in my skates from about age 6 to 14, I didn't skate for decades. Then, in a fit of nostalgic madness, I went to "adult night" at a local roller rink and got back on skates again. After a few touch-and-go turns around the rink, the muscle memory kicked in and it all came back to me. Now I've asked for new roller skates -- for my 43rd birthday! BOOyah!

joe said...

Happy birthday! I'd have gotten you a gift if you'd given me more notice..

Sarah T said...

LOL! My birthday isn't for another couple of weeks - and I'm trying to make myself be patient and use the old rental clunkers until I can get my new Dominions. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails