Using my blog to try and make the world a better place. If I can help someone forget their troubles for a few minutes a day, it's all worth it.

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):
I watch the ripples change their size, but never leave the stream of warm impermanent sand. So the days flow through my eyes but still the days seem the same. And these children that you spit on as they try to change their world are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through.

Wednesday, June 06, 2012

So how many of you had...



... a Shrunken Head Apple Sculpture kit?? Nobody I knew had this one. I don't remember the exact date, but I'm pretty sure it was mid-'70s. I was going to ask for a set back in the day, but it all seemed a little weird; plus, I heard that the smell was unbearable so I knew that my folks would say no (and, quite frankly, I couldn't think of anything you could do with them.. how on earth do you play with a shrunken head?). Between you and I, I have to say the pic of Vincent Price playing with his shrunken heads is a bit on the disturbing side.. he looks a little old for that.

10 comments:

Teejay said...

I had one of these and it was great and frustrating at the same time.
You had templates that you used to carve the face and it took a bit of skill to really do it well.
It took a few days for the apple to dry and the smell wasn't overpowering at all, it was only moderate and it was a baked apple smell and not really unpleasant at all.
It also took a little skill to finish the head. (It came with small beads for eyes and teeth as well as hair to glue on and paints for coloring the face.
But in the end you had a pretty neat looking head.
The frustrating part was the apples never stopped drying out, so they would eventually shrink to the size of marbles, pretty much making all your time and effort a waste.
It had a shellac to coat and seal the apple heads, but you could never get it into all the small nooks and crannies to get a complete seal, so all you did was slow the shrinkage.
In the end we all stopped making them on account of them drying up. But it was fun making them.

joe said...

I wanted to try it, but it was just one of those elusive toys. That would suck about them continuing to shrink.

apemanbela44 said...

Always wanted one of these, along with Creepy Crawlers and Wiggly Weirdies.

joe said...

I think there was one where you could make rubbery insects that were edible.
Didn't have that one either..

Dr. Theda said...

I always wanted one of these...
( Then again I know how to make a real one as well) the ad is from 1976.... "Incredible Eatables" were the ones that you could eat.....I had one the oven looked a lot like H.R.Puffinstuff's head with a plastic red knob for a nose as a non-heated surface to safely open its mouth and check (with a toothpick) if your candy (Jelly-like) creatures were done....

Dr. Theda said...

It took until the late 90's till I could use my "Creepy Crawlers" molds again......I have two of the "Eeeks!!" expansion set that I found in the early 70's..... And Great Post on "Green Ghost" Game..... I had one as a very small child... I remember the "pieces" of it more than the actual game...

Dr. Theda said...

Thank You Good Sir for these wonderful "childhood memories"

joe said...

You're welcome ;^)

P.s.: I wanted the incredible eatibles too but my folks said no. Well you can't have everything..

Dr. Theda said...

We found on E-Bay ( at a very low cost) some of the main pieces of the "Green Ghost" game.... We shall try to make a copy of the rest of the game ( Except for the "Ghost Spinner" , they are well out of our price range)

joe said...

I'm not sure how you could fabricate one at home, but if you do send me a pic and tell me how you did it

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails