Using my blog to try and make the world a better place. If I can help someone forget their troubles for a few minutes a day, it's all worth it.

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):
I watch the ripples change their size, but never leave the stream of warm impermanent sand. So the days flow through my eyes but still the days seem the same. And these children that you spit on as they try to change their world are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through.

Saturday, June 23, 2012

You probably think this song is about you. Don't you.

"Well you had me several years ago when I was still quite naive; when you said that we'd make such a pretty pair and that you would never leave. Well you gave away the things you loved, and one of them was me. I had some dreams, they were clouds in my coffee."


Much speculation's been given as to whom Carly is actually singing about in her song "You're So Vain". I believe she said that it's a real person, but she also said in an interview that "If you think you know, you don't". I've often wondered if Carly's actually singing about herself; especially in the above verse. It seems to suggest that fame and success changed her and made her into someone whom she swore that she never would become, and didn't recognize anymore. And when she says "You probably think this song is about you" is her subconsciously talking to herself. Alas, we may never know, as Carly's probably never going to tell us, but it's just my theory.

8 comments:

Caffeinated Joe said...

I remember listening to this once on the radio with my friend and saying "Well, ISN'T the song about him?" LOL

joe said...

Haha yeah me too

Jaggerfan1 said...

I thought I heard the song might have been about Mick Jagger or Warren Beatty. My mom thinks Mick Jagger is a VERY vain person.

joe said...

I heard he was too. But Carly said If you think you know, you don't, so it's probably not them. Still I'd like to find out someday

Michaelof71 said...

Warren Beatty was so vain that he actually did think the song was about him. Carly Simon has said that Beatty actually called to thank her for the song. Vain.

joe said...

Haha yeah pretty much

Michaelof71 said...

When I was a kid, I thought that this song included the lyrics: "I had a dream there were clowns in my coffee, clowns in my coffee..." I didn't know what it meant but thought it was a really cool image. It wasn't until I was an adult that I learned that the lyrics were actually "clouds in my coffee." I don't understand that image either. I think I prefer the clowns.

joe said...

Nope, NOT clowns, my friend.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails