Using my blog to try and make the world a better place. If I can help someone forget their troubles for a few minutes a day, it's all worth it.

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):
I watch the ripples change their size, but never leave the stream of warm impermanent sand. So the days flow through my eyes but still the days seem the same. And these children that you spit on as they try to change their world are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through.

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Columbia House Record Club:

Back then, if you sent in a penny and filled out the form, they would send you a few albums of your choice (record or 8-track), as long as you agree to buy several more albums within a year. I joined when I was 9, because they were giving away a free radio as well. So I got the 7 albums, then I didn't buy anything else. I also remember that if you weren't buying, they'd send you a crappy record and charge you for it anyway....
Eventually I started getting nasty letters from Columbia, and then from a collection agency. Mom stepped in and informed them that I was only 9, and since I wasn't an adult they were basically screwed. Well, serves them right, the radio was a total piece of crap..

7 comments:

Kim said...

The Wire is pretty good, even though there was no Gene, Gene the Dancin' Machine involved.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree!

joe said...

Haha. I guess so ;^)

CoolStuffForDads.com said...

I did this too. I think I was a little older and signed up for the cassette tapes. I actually then ultimately ordered and paid for the required number of follow up cassettes. As I remember, you had to watch it because if you did not send in a reply saying you were not interested in the monthly selection, they would send it to you and want payment for it.

I still think it worked out to be worth it and it was sort of fun at the time. Other than that I wasn't getting too much else in the mail.

joe said...

So did you get a crappy radio, too?? As crappy as the one they pawned off on me???

CoolStuffForDads.com said...

No radio, just 11 tapes for a penny ... I am not sure how they made money.

joe said...

Well if they did ever make any money out of it, they certainly didn't do it through me..

Redsoxfan said...

I did it too but got no radio, the first album I got was billy joel, glass houses, a classic on my first try but have none of them anymore. aw well.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails