Using my blog to try and make the world a better place. If I can help someone forget their troubles for a few minutes a day, it's all worth it.

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):
I watch the ripples change their size, but never leave the stream of warm impermanent sand. So the days flow through my eyes but still the days seem the same. And these children that you spit on as they try to change their world are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through.

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Show 'N Tell record players

From about 1973 to 1975, I wore mine out. It was a record player with a picture screen on the front, and had a slot where you would insert a strip of slide pictures. As the record played, the slide show would correspond with the story. I had a couple of dozen records with the picture slides. I guess you could say it was kind of like a 70's-era DVD player for kids. I loved shutting the shades and making my room as dark as possible, and sitting down for a show. Good times.
With the exception of my Fisher Price Castle, this ranks up there as one of the best.

22 comments:

CoolStuffForDads.com said...

You had all of the good stuff ... I knew someone with one of these. I recall some sort of movie projector (like a toy version) but it never seemed to work quite right.

Cheer34 said...

you must have been born into a wealthy family.....those were very expensive.....and danta ran out of them the christmas I asked him for one.....

Cheer34 said...

I mean't to spell SANTA not danta

joe said...

Cool Dad: Well, being an only child my folks could spend a little more.

Cheer: First, I love that new profile pic. That's so cool.
And no, I didn't grow up wealthy at all. My folks had a middle-class lifestyle, not rich.

CoolStuffForDads.com said...

You have the Lego Geek in the margin ... there was a kid I grew up with who had so many legos, I was in total awe.

teri said...

I had the record player. it was cool.

joe said...

I think the most fun i had with my legos, was accidently leaving pieces here and there on the floor and watch my parents step on them without their shoes on.
That hurts like hell.
I got yelled at. aLOT..

joe said...

Teri: It was probably one of the coolest things I ever got back then.

Cheer34 said...

JOE, Dick, 70" child: I like the new photo to....G man and i look like we are form the 60's altho,,,I was very very young then

Brian said...

I never had the Show & Tell but I absolutely loved my F&P Castle (especially the dragon in the dungeon). I also had an F&P A-frame house that caused me to be fascinated with A-frames ever since.

Anonymous said...

This was my favorite toy, followed by my Talking View Master and my Lite Brite.

Anonymous said...

Do you still have your show & tell movies & records? I have my player that still works but I'm not sure I have any of the records & I've only found 1 of the movies. Please message me & let me know if you have them or not. I'd love to be able to let my kids use this. Thank you.
mylittlefriend_69@HOTMAIL.COM

Jill670@ptd.net said...

I have at least a dozen of the records and film strip for the Show and Tell. Don't know what to do with them

joe said...

So Jill maybe you want to give anonymous your email address. Looks like you could have a buyer..

Maximiliano said...

show and tell was the best, i still remember all the lyrics to tom thumb.hahahah

joe said...

my fave was one with Captain Kangaroo how he spent his day. I watched that one over and over and over and over....

pinkcupcake said...

i was a child of the 80s and i LOVED it, but i have always been obsessed with the 60s and (especially)70s. both of my parents have told me what an awesome era it was! anyways, these things remind me of the kenner's project-a show. there is a bunch on ebay and iv'e been thinking of getting one for a while now. i want one of these now too!

joe said...

Yeah it was alot of fun. I'm not sure what it would be like to look at them now, but back in its day it was a blast.

Anonymous said...

I had one and can still recite Hansel and Gretel!!!

Anonymous said...

I still have mine from when I was seven

Jennifer Meyer said...

Somewhere hidden in my parents house is this magical toy that I loved playing with as a child. It's one of the few treasures I wish I had still to treasure. I wish I could find it, maybe some day!

joe said...

My folks threw mine out with all my other toys after I outgrew it. I had a blast with it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails