Using my blog to try and make the world a better place. If I can help someone forget their troubles for a few minutes a day, it's all worth it.

Monday, January 02, 2012

"That's funny, Frank never has a second cup at home..."

Does anyone remember the coffee commercials (I think it was Folgers) where a married couple is having coffee with Mrs. Olsen and the husband asks for a second cup of coffee while the wife looks on in disbelief that her husband actually wants a second cup because he doesn't ask for a second cup at home. And she seems to get a sort of inferiority complex because she can't seem to make a decent cup of coffee to satisfy her man?? Then she asks Mrs. Olsen what her secret is, and I believe it's the "flavor crystals" that makes Mrs. Olsen's coffee better than the wife's. So Mrs. Olsen tells the wife her secret and probably saves their marriage??? It was an ad campaign that ran pretty much throughout the decade. I'm guessing Mrs. Olsen isn't with us anymore; it's been almost 30 years.

9 comments:

Jack said...

Yeah, you pretty much remember it right. Her stage name was Virginia Christine, and she died in her 70s in the mid 90s. These were some of the last popular culture icons where the marriage was in jeopardy because the wife couldn't make coffee, get out Ring Around the Collar, or some such domestic disaster. Shortly after this campaign, lib swept the neighborhood, and it wasn't long before the husband/dad was being portrayed as the useless boob in every relationship, taking advice on how to be a man/father from aliens (ALF) to stuffed rabbits (Unhappily Ever After). Comedy is real life viewed in a fun house mirror, and this trend sure says a lot about us...

joe said...

I drink instant, and personally I never liked Folger's coffee. I always found it to taste a little funny.

Dex1138 said...

When I saw the title of this post in my RSS feed the first thing I thought of was Airplane!

joe said...

Hahaa I'd forgotten all about that

lazlo1988 said...

I also remember that other commercial for Brim decaffeinated coffee, where someone is stopped from pouring coffee. "What," they say "Only half a cup? Don't you like my coffee?" The person receiving the coffee says something or other about how they can't drink too much caffeine, and are told that its decaffeinated coffee. The commercial concludes with: "Then fill it to the rim . . . with Brim!"

lazlo1988 said...

Check it out: the hometown of the Ms. Olsen actress has commemorated her by building a watertower that looks like a coffee pot:

http://home.mchsi.com/~Stanton/tower.html

ChiTown Girl said...

Joe, you are awesome!! Every single visit here whisks me away, right back to my childhood!!

I knew the second I read that title what you were referring to, and it made me laugh.

joe said...

Lazlo: I remember the Brim commercials. Every once in awhile I mean to do a post on that but I keep forgetting for some reason

CTG: Awesome??? Naaa. Exceptional maybe, but not awesome.. ;^)

Sunnydaze said...

That's funny that you posted this becasue I recently bought a dvd set of retro commercials and they had a million of these very same commercials on where the husband never wanted a second cup, until...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails