Using my blog to try and make the world a better place. If I can help someone forget their troubles for a few minutes a day, it's all worth it.

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):
I watch the ripples change their size, but never leave the stream of warm impermanent sand. So the days flow through my eyes but still the days seem the same. And these children that you spit on as they try to change their world are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through.

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Misc. Remembrances:

In the summer, I always looked forward to our 1-week trip to my grandparent's home in Chatham, on Cape Cod, in Massachusetts. It was a tradition all through the '70s, up until around 1982. The house was built by my great grandfather Rex, the one who owned the restaurant in Harwich. My grandparents had bought the house from Rex, but Rex still lived there until his passing. Every morning Rex would make us scrambled eggs and bacon. He wouldn't talk to any of us, he just made breakfast. After it was made, it was served, and then he'd go into his bedroom and ignore everybody for the rest of the day (although I have to say that even though he had a rotten attitude, he made an excellent breakfast).

11 comments:

Sunnydaze said...

That's a cute story. :)

Retro Hound said...

I must say after reading this blog for a few years, you had the weirdest upbringing! No that there's anything wrong with that.

joe said...

Sunny: Rex was quite a character. There are people who still remember the restaurant.

RH: I have no complaints ;^)

Tom said...

Mmmm. Those eggs and bacon look good!!!!

Dolly the Bird said...

I adore your blog! I wanted to pass on the Stylish Blogger Award to you! Hopefully it will swing some more readers by your fab page!

joe said...

Tom: Free breakfast, free 1-week vacation rental.... i miss those days.

Dolly: Thanks Lady ;^)

SkylersDad said...

Yum! I would love to eat that every morning.

Marissa said...

I take it that Rex's dream was NOT to own a Bed-and-Breakfast inn.

joe said...

SD: And the best part was it was free...

Marissa: Nope, not at all

Zed said...

Are you sure your Uncle Rex wasn't my Uncle Louie? He did the same thing. Fed us great breakfasts, spoke to no one, then went outside and spent the day under his centuries' old Cadillac, trying to get it to run again.

Thanks for the memory, Joe. :)

joe said...

So did he ever get it to run?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails