Using my blog to try and make the world a better place. If I can help someone forget their troubles for a few minutes a day, it's all worth it.

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):
I watch the ripples change their size, but never leave the stream of warm impermanent sand. So the days flow through my eyes but still the days seem the same. And these children that you spit on as they try to change their world are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through.

Sunday, August 09, 2009

Movie Viewers:

Circa 1974. I had one of these, they were awesome (to a 6-year old). They had no sound, but they were still cool. The faster you cranked the handle, the faster the movie played. I loved playing them fast.

12 comments:

Sunshinemeg said...

I never had one, however my childhood friend had one of those super basements with lots of toys. They had one down there and I loved it! Part of the crank thing was broken so you had to watch it incredibly slow because it was challenging to turn it. Ha! Great memory.

Christine said...

I had some of these! I absolutely loved them. The best parts where cranking them really fast and then going really slow! Thanks for posting this... I'd forgotten about those little gems.

The Groovy Agent said...

Had the Disney ones--they were great! I loved the Three Little Pigs; I'd run it forward and backward to watch the Big Bad Wolf go in and out of the kettle of boiling water! Great fun!!

Dartman said...

These were great! I had the Six Million Dollar Man and Star Wars cartridges. After a while, the film would get loose in the cartridge and there were spots where it was "flimsy" so you had to turn the crank faster and faster while the film slowly went by frame by frame. Still, it was pretty cool!

joe said...

Meg: I had a neighbor friend with a super basement too. Eventually they caught on that i was there for the stuff, not for them... i can be so shallow sometimes..

Christine: You're welcome! That's why I'm here ;^)

Groovy: I had a haunted house one with Mickey and Donald, and I played it back and forth too.

Dartman: I still say it would've been better with sound. I guess these were kind of like the first version of the portable DVD player.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
joe said...

Actually Cal, it's amazing how some of your comments are just dripping with snyde sarcasm.
It can be rather rude, actually.

Richard Doyle said...

I owned one of these and had totally forgotten about until right now. I had Disney cartoons with it.

Thanks for reviving the memories.

Jim @ CoolStuffForDads.com said...

I am pretty sure I had one of these too ... these were our high tech toys of the 70s.

joe said...

Richard and Jim: How nice and refreshing to have polite people show up for a change.

Unlike Cal, that is....

FilmFather said...

Totally had these as a kid, including a Disney one with Mickey Mouse being chased by ghosts or something.

The Star Wars one was awesome, because with the "new" movie viewer that came with it, you could crank the movie backwards with the film getting all effed up.

joe said...

That's one I had (mickey mouse chased by ghosts). it was my favorite.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails