Using my blog to try and make the world a better place. If I can help someone forget their troubles for a few minutes a day, it's all worth it.

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):
I watch the ripples change their size, but never leave the stream of warm impermanent sand. So the days flow through my eyes but still the days seem the same. And these children that you spit on as they try to change their world are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through.

Monday, March 15, 2010

So true:

Mom told me that when she and her siblings were growing up in the 40's and 50's, once in awhile they'd say to my grandmother "We're hungry". Nana would say "Well, have a piece of bread with some butter on it." They'd say "We don't want that", and Nana would reply "Well, then you're not that hungry". It wasn't 'til I was older that I understood.

9 comments:

Cheesecake Maven said...

your Nana was a smart woman.

joe said...

Yes she was ;^)

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

I still love me some bread and butter.
<><

Ally said...

Man, that's way better than my mom's famous, "Then have some fruit!" Me: "I hate fruit" Mom: "Then you're not that hungry then."

grannyann said...

I had a grandmother that said the same thing. My mom would tell us to have a mayonaise sandwich (which we did - sure ate a lot of mayo sandwiches)

joe said...

Noe: Me too.

Ally: I liked fruit as a kid. Now not so much.

Ann: Sorry, but yuck.

ASBLACKASOBAMA said...

This sort of reminds me of my grandfather who wouldn't let us leave the table before we ate every single scrap on our plate.... We were never hungry later.

Mimi said...

Your blog is FANTASTIC! I am a child of the 70's and am having a blast reading this. Still have my Hamburgular Glass!!

This post is particularly awesome. I have a Retro Weight Loss Blog (reliving the scary 1972 Weight Watchers Program) and if someone had given me the advice in your post, I may have grown up with a much better relationship with food!

Hope you'll stop by and see me sometime for some retro dieting fun!
http://theskinnyjeansproject.blogspot.com/

joe said...

ABAO: When mom would try that line on me when I was a kid, I wondered why she was being so unreasonable...

Mimi: Well you just made my day. I'm glad you're here (c:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails