Using my blog to try and make the world a better place. If I can help someone forget their troubles for a few minutes a day, it's all worth it.

Monday, May 17, 2010

I'm not quite sure what they're singing, but it's probably "I'm a little bit country, I'm a little bit rock and roll":

"I'm a little bit country
I'm a little bit rock and roll.
I'm a little bit of Memphis/Nashville
With a little bit of Motown in my soul"
This one's for Jim, who got me to thinking about this show. I didn't miss an episode. Marie was a very pretty teenager, until she got that god-awful bob towards the end of the show. I still remember Donny's purple socks, and how he was the butt of all the jokes that were rather insulting. Apparantly, his brothers were writing the scripts for the show and did whatever they could to make him look bad because they were jealous he was popular and they weren't... yes family can really suck sometimes......

15 comments:

pika23 said...

Donny and Marie were a smidgen before my time, as I was born in 78. I used to have a story book about them, and the osmond family. They lost their dog, muffin, at the state fair.

teri said...

LOVED this show when I was a kid.

joe said...

Do either of you see the Saturday Night Live skit: The Gumby Christmas Special, where the actors playing Donny and Marie start singing and end up making out???? I laughed hysterically.

Blast from the Past said...

Hard to believe that they could sing through all those teeth!

I watched every show growing up. They were a part of the great era of variety shows! There's wasn't the best, but it was fun to watch!

Marissa said...

LOL @ Blast - "...through all those teeth."

Hey, I give Marie props for looking so good nowadays. Not shabby, after everything she's been through.

Jim @ CoolStuffForDads.com said...

Hey! Thanks Joe!! Didn't they sing I'm a little bit country, I'm a little bit rock and roll at the start of each show? Forgot about those purple socks ...

Mimi said...

Never missed an episode. Total cheese, but oh so great!

LaraAnn said...

My parents would sometimes watch this and other variety shows such as The Mandrell Sisters, Hee-Haw, Sonny and Cher. Occassionally my brother and I would watch these with them but I don't remember much about them.

Brian B said...

Watched it.

I remember Donny having a bike that you steered with the handle bars AND the seat.

They just don't make T.V. the same.

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

I loved Donnie and Marie! I wonder what happened to all my hair.
<><

joe said...

I remember they used to do alot of ice skating on stage.. don't ask me how they managed that with all the hot studio lights glaring down on the ice. You'd think it would've melted.

Scott said...

My favorite episode was the one where Donny and Marie switched parts and Donny was "a little bit country" and Marie was a "little bit rock and roll." At the time, I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

joe said...

.. and do you still think it was the coolest thing ever???

Miss Alex said...

I was always a fan of David Cassidy *siiiiiiiiiggggghhhh*

joe said...

Um, I think we're talking about Donny and Marie here, but yeah, Dave was alright...
;^)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails