Using my blog to try and make the world a better place. If I can help someone forget their troubles for a few minutes a day, it's all worth it.

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):
I watch the ripples change their size, but never leave the stream of warm impermanent sand. So the days flow through my eyes but still the days seem the same. And these children that you spit on as they try to change their world are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through.

Sunday, May 30, 2010

1975 remembrance:

We were at a vacation cottage on a lake. The adults had been drinking all day when they finally joined us at the lake. My cousin Karen was flying a Gayla kite (I believe the above pictured model), when mom slurred: "Let me fly your kite Karen". Karen reluctantly handed it over to mom, but mom wasn't coordinated enough and dropped the spool. The kite started to fly away. Mom would've tried to chase it, but she was in no condition to run after a kite (plus she would've dropped the drink in her hand). Karen chased it for a few hundred feet before everything flew out of reach, and the kite was gone. She was mad for the rest of the vacation. Yes, sucked to be her..

16 comments:

Tennis Girl said...

Too bad for your little cousin :(

joe said...

Let's just say she didn't take it very well..

I Wonder Wye said...

Funny memory...I was born in '58 so was a teen in '75 and disco ruled the night-life...when I went to the first high school reunion I looked around and thought I hadn't gone to school with any of those people. Then I saw our class photos and remembered everybody liked bad in that era! Woo-hoo! LOVE 'Get Fuzzy' -- he is my favorite comic feline.....

Marissa said...

For a kid, losing a kite in the wind is devastating! It's the same heart-wrenching feeling when one loses a balloon. All you can do is watch helplessly.

joe said...

Wye: Bucky's a great cat, but I don't think I'd like to live with him...

*hands kleenex to Marissa*

ASBLACKASOBAMA said...

My kite flying skills have diminished as I've gotten older.... I might have to go get some kites to try it again today....

joe said...

The part that sucks the most about flying a kite is winding it back down again. That takes, like, hours...

LaraAnn said...

I only flew a kite a couple of times when I was a kid. I definitely was afraid that I'd lose it. Thank goodness that didn't happen.

joe said...

Well you were wise not to let mom get her hands on it. Especially after she's had a few, if you know what I mean.

teri said...

I would have expected an immediate replacement.

joe said...

So did karen but that didn't happen..

blueroc85 said...

I had a kite that looke like an octopus. My cousin wanted to fly it and promptly let the wind take it away....on purpose!I was a bit mad but not too devastated as we played a game of badminton later.

sunnydaze said...

Just looking at this old Kmart price tag brings back memories...

joe said...

Blue: Well you're a bigger person than Karen.

Sunny: We've still got a Kmart here. It's not doing too well, though. Especially now that Walmart came to town.

Joseph said...

i remember those kites! i had the one named 'black bat', i believe.

joe, i feel for your cousin. i have many similar memories of my parents and their friends. we grew up in a different time, didn't we?

joe said...

Yes we did ;^)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails