Using my blog to try and make the world a better place. If I can help someone forget their troubles for a few minutes a day, it's all worth it.

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):
I watch the ripples change their size, but never leave the stream of warm impermanent sand. So the days flow through my eyes but still the days seem the same. And these children that you spit on as they try to change their world are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through.

Sunday, October 02, 2011

Erma Bombeck:

I'm not sure when the above came out but I'm guessing mid '70s. My folks had the above. I liked the cover because of the cherries, and the fact that the dog looked like the woman. I never read any of Erma's books back in the day because I was too young to appreciate her humor. In the mid '90s I read her book "When You Start To Look Like Your Passport Photo It's Time To Go Home" and I loved it. I remember one passage where she wrote something like: "Before one of our trips to Africa, I spent a month shopping for the right blouse to wear to church, only to end up in a village where women attend topless". I think Erma passed away a few years ago, which is a shame. Seems the good ones are always taken from us too soon.

6 comments:

Retro Hound said...

I've read several of her books, liked them all except one that was VERY melancholy. It had funny stuff in it too, but there was an obvious strain of sadness running through the whole thing.

joe said...

I'm not sure what book that was. I only read the one so I'm not really familiar with her other books.

Janet said...

Oh, we had lots of Erma's books -- she was a favorite of my mom's. She had a column that ran in the newspaper, and I would often hear my mother burst out laughing as she read it. She was also on one of the morning shows for a while, but that may have been in the 80s.

joe said...

I'd forgotten about the newspaper column. I don't think I ever read it though

Sunnydaze said...

I never read this book but I remember seeing it everywhere when I was younger. I saw a copy at a yard sale just the other week.

I like the pic of you in the stream. Ch-ch-changes...

joe said...

My folks forced me to take off my shoes and get in the stream so they could take a pic. We argued about it for over 5 minutes before I gave in.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails