Using my blog to try and make the world a better place. If I can help someone forget their troubles for a few minutes a day, it's all worth it.

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):
I watch the ripples change their size, but never leave the stream of warm impermanent sand. So the days flow through my eyes but still the days seem the same. And these children that you spit on as they try to change their world are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through.

Friday, July 10, 2009

I don't know what you call these things, but it was the pre-cursor to the 8-track casette player:

My uncle had one of these circa 1975. I can still remember listening to Seals And Croft on it.

14 comments:

Hairball said...

I believe they are called a reel to reel player.

joe said...

Well, whatever they're called, I don't think you can even give these things away anymore...

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

It's called a reel to reel.

joe said...

Hey I like your new profile pic, although I must admit the other pic was so damn cute..

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

OMG...this SOOOO reminds me of my father. He had tons of country music on his reels. They were like mixed tapes only much longer. If fact I am going to dig out his machine tonight and see if it still works. He even taped my sister and I singing to Conway Twitty (don't get me started on the ways I dislike that dipstick). Cool memories buddy.

Kenneth Walsh said...

My stepdad had one of these and before he married my mom, he brought it over to show a 5-year-old version of me. He fell asleep and I tried to "do it" myself and pretty much destroyed the whole thing.

Oh, the memories ...

joe said...

Cal: I'm not a Conway twitty fan myself. I hope you can get that thing working. Let me know if you do.

Kenneth: Haha although I wouldn't think it was funny if I was your stepdad ;>)

grannyann said...

I still have one of those also. can you believe I have a house full of old things that aren't even antiques?

joe said...

So are you a collector, or do you just have a problem with throwing things away?

joe said...

.... either way, if that keeps up you're gonna need to buy a bigger house...

grannyann said...

Some things I have trouble getting rid of, but I periodically have a garage sale or have my daughter put them on ebay.

joe said...

I wonder how much you could get for your thunderbird.

joe said...

Not that you should sell it, I just wonder how much it would go for.

wendel said...

I got one from my father as a graduation gift from High School.
You could, still then, get Reel to Reel tapes from the Columbia Music club, and I bought a few from American Airlines who used them for their in flight entertainment.

I used mine to record TV shows when I was out (used a timer to turn on the TV and Recorder at once.) I still have all of the first year of Mork and Mindy.

I also recorded a lot of my LPs on to tape to save space. After all, you could always find a reel to reel player, couldn't you?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails