Using my blog to try and make the world a better place. If I can help someone forget their troubles for a few minutes a day, it's all worth it.

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like Bobby Brady in this pic?????):

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like Bobby Brady in this pic?????):
I watch the ripples change their size, but never leave the stream of warm impermanent sand. So the days flow through my eyes but still the days seem the same. And these children that you spit on as they try to change their world are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through.

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

"You're soaking in it."

I haven't come across many people who watched any television whatsoever between 1970 and 1980, that don't remember Madge the manicurist, the spokeswoman for Palmolive dish washing detergent.

16 comments:

Cheer34 said...

I remember her...and palmolive didn't soften my hands

Gilligan said...

There were so many memorable one-liners from 70s commercials: Don't squeeze the Charmin, Ancient Chinese secret, pretty sneaky sis, I should've had a V-8, etc., etc.

I guess there's still memorable ones today, but I just don't watch TV much anymore... and when I do, it's Tivo'd and so I FF through commercials.

joe said...

Cheer: Don't tell Madge that..

Gilligan: i forgot all about the "ancient chinese secret". I forget what product that was, though.

CoolStuffForDads.com said...

Calgon, the dry cleaner uses it ... the remote control makes channel surfing way too easy, we did like the McNuggetts rap when that came out.

joe said...

Ah yes, Calgon. I remember their "Calgon take me away!" commercials.

joe said...

So, did Palmolive include olive oil??

Chris said...

We used Palmolive during those wonderful years our dishwasher was broken and my dad was too cheap to fix it--it cost us almost our entire collection of glasses from Shell Gas.

My hands were so chapped after washing dishes, but I still thought it was great stuff.

joe said...

So are you insinuating Madge may have been lying about the "soft hands" thing??? ARE you?!?

Marissa said...

Yeah - I'm calling Madge's bluff. (I wonder if it's too late to sue.)

joe said...

Well, when you see her, ask her if she's proud of herself (you know, making her fortune on false claims, and deceit)...

Sans Pantaloons said...

Did the USA ever have Fairy Liquid?

joe said...

No, but we had Fairy Soap. Does that count?????

joe said...

... I feel so "less-than" now...

Sans Pantaloons said...

I think then, that Palmolive was called Fairy Liquid in the UK. We already had Palmolive soap. What a mixed up world we lived in! At least it was clean.

joe said...

Yes. Clean, fairy fun.

joe said...

... for everyone..

Related Posts with Thumbnails