Using my blog to try and make the world a better place. If I can help someone forget their troubles for a few minutes a day, it's all worth it.

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):
I watch the ripples change their size, but never leave the stream of warm impermanent sand. So the days flow through my eyes but still the days seem the same. And these children that you spit on as they try to change their world are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Dynamite magazine:

I received the above pictured Dynamite magazine in the fall of 1978, through Scholastic. I've since purchased a copy through ebay. It had a calendar poster of 1979 inside. Also inside was a ghost story (The Cottage On Clarkson Street) about a kid (Tommy) who used to bounce a ball down the cellar stairs and fell down the stairs and broke his neck. That story freaked me out for WEEKS...

19 comments:

Marissa said...

I forgot all about Dynamite! That's a creepy story for a kids magazine.

joe said...

Yes. And according to the story, whenever the occupants of the house were in the kitchen, they could hear a ball being bounced against the other side of the basement door. Thud. Thud. Thud... totally creeped me out.

joe said...

.. and yet I bought the magazine again anyway... haha. I'm such an idiot...

joe said...

... btw, there's another picture of Dynamite on my sidebar.
Sorry for the repeat comments, but I only think of these things after I post the previous ones..

grannyann said...

I like the other Dynamite cover on the sidebar. I love the Caricatures but I don't remember the magazine. About then I didn't have much extra money to spend on magazines.

Gilligan said...

I'll be the story was by R.L. Stine. He's an insanely popular horror writer for kids now, but he started as a writer for Dynamite.

Marissa said...

What SICKO would put that story in Dynamite?

Hey, I dig the Hamburglar glass too. I didn't like either the Beatles or the BeeGees too much. But the mag is cool.

Marissa said...

Oh, Gilligan just answered the question. He hit "publish" first. lol.

Jim @ CoolStuffForDads.com said...

R.L. Stine is the "Goosebumps "guy and there were some pretty scarey stories in that series. Looks like it might still be associated with Scholastic.

joe said...

Hmm, I'll look at it, but i'm pretty sure the author wasn't Stine.

Keith said...

That's a great cover. I used to watch The Love Boat. Dynamite was a cool mag.

Miss Alex said...

Hahaha Brilliant

joe said...

Keith and Miss Alex: Did you know I met Gavin Mcleod once?? He attended a church I was a member of. All the old ladies of the church were fawning all over the guy. It was embarrassing, really..

Rebecca68 said...

I would bet that the story in Dynamite wasn't anywhere near as scary, horrific, etc as what kids can read and view today. Yeah, probably would have freaked us out in the 70s but today's kids have seen and heard a lot more than I ever did as a child.

I think I used to have a subscription to Dynamite magazine.

Phoenigan said...

i'm so digging your website! Thanks!

Rich S said...

I found this page LOOKING FOR that story about the ball in the basement- it totally freaked me out then, too. It still does!

joe said...

Ghost stories always creeped me out back then, but I still kept reading them..

Namowal said...

That ghost-rubber-ball story FREAKED me when I was a kid! Especially toward the end when it was slamming into the basement door. *shiver*
It was presented as a "true" story, but I've never heard of it outside the context of Dynamite- not even as an urban legend. I wonder where it came from?
If it was cooked up by the magazine editors, I picture them reading it out loud and trying not to laugh at the part where the rental agent says "I suppose you're leaving thanks to that red rubber ball..."

joe said...

I was a sucker for ghost stories back then, even though I'd be freaked out for weeks after I read them

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails