Using my blog to try and make the world a better place. If I can help someone forget their troubles for a few minutes a day, it's all worth it.

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like Bobby Brady in this pic?????):

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like Bobby Brady in this pic?????):
I watch the ripples change their size, but never leave the stream of warm impermanent sand. So the days flow through my eyes but still the days seem the same. And these children that you spit on as they try to change their world are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through.

Saturday, April 04, 2009

Name that toy:

Film Father sent me an email, asking if I knew what a certain toy was that he couldn't remember the name of. For the life of me I've got no clue, maybe you know. Here's his description:

It featured a long track, like a plastic rail, that you could set up rollercoaster-style, then you put these stout, boxy plastic robots on the track (the robots were probably 6 inches tall) and you pushed them along the track. There were all different kinds of robots, but the one I remember the most is from the front of the (big) box the track came in: he had a human face, with a mad/angry look, maybe black hair, and he may have had a black eye...

Anybody know?

15 comments:

Marissa said...

Sorry, drawing a blank. Was there ever a commercial for it?

joe said...

I don't know. I'm stumped. It's the not-knowing that's bothering me the most....

joe said...

..so Marissa, did you have a favorite toy when you were a kid?

Jim @ CoolStuffForDads.com said...

Not even ringing a bell ...

joe said...

Dang...

Marissa said...

Favorite toy? (Giggling) Paper dolls. We didn't have much money, so imagination was everything. Maybe Spirograph. And you??

joe said...

The 1974 fisher price castle. there's a pic of one near the bottom of my site. I loved that thing.

Jim @ CoolStuffForDads.com said...

I had a castle too but it wasn't a mainstream toy brand that I remember and targeted at a slightly older kid. It was pretty cool though with knights, horses, towers, drawbridge, etc. I never really thought about that question, I really liked my Atari, not sure you'd consider that a toy...

joe said...

I had Atari. Loved it.

FilmFather said...

@Marissa: No, I don't remember ever seeing a commercial for it. Though that would surely help jar my memories, as well as help with my Web search.

@Joe: Thanks for posting my email; I shall continue searching. If I hit paydirt, I'll drop a comment here and let you know.

joe said...

Okay! Thanks!

mary said...

I don't remember the name of it, but I remember the toy. I wanted it for my birthday-I may have been in 5th grade(around 1970)My parents said I couldn't get it because it was a toy for boys, and I was a girl!

blueroc85 said...

I loved my Fisher Price playsets, but unfortunatley I didn't have the castle :(

Anonymous said...

Ding-A-Lings

FilmFather said...

Joe, thanks for the heads-up in the comments at my blog about this. YES! Anonymous is right: They were called Ding-a-Lings. Here's a pretty good blog post about them, with additional links:

http://atomictreehouse.blogspot.com/2007/07/ding-ling-robots-topper-toys.html

I totally remember the Boxer and totally remember the box art. My neighbor across the street had these, and I was so jealous.

Related Posts with Thumbnails