Using my blog to try and make the world a better place. If I can help someone forget their troubles for a few minutes a day, it's all worth it.

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):

1973 (btw, is it just me, or do I look like the first-season Bobby Brady in this pic?????):
I watch the ripples change their size, but never leave the stream of warm impermanent sand. So the days flow through my eyes but still the days seem the same. And these children that you spit on as they try to change their world are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through.

Saturday, April 04, 2009

Welcome to the Hotel California:

I've heard many explanations as to the meaning of Hotel California by the Eagles. I've heard it said that it's a reference to Hell. Maybe. But I've also heard it's a reference to a mental institution. Colitas ("warm smell of colitas rising up through the air") is a strong form of cannibis. Apparantly the singer of the song smoked some tainted colitas and ended up in a mental institution. On the line "Relax said the nightman, we are programmed to receive. You can check out any time you like but you can never leave"... if he was dead (a.k.a. being in hell), he couldn't "check out", he'd already be dead. And the line: "Her mind is Tiffany Twisted"... well, that speaks VOLUMES, as far as I'm concerned...

15 comments:

teri said...

I love the Eagles but I never liked this song. I know, I'm a freak. Every person on the planet likes this song.

joe said...

Oh you're not a freak..

keie3 said...

Total drug song. That's what I've always thought.

Marissa said...

Oh, I'm glad it's not "warm smell of COLITIS." And I used to sing "her mind is definitely twisted." Thanks for straightening me out.

Marissa said...

No pun intended.

joe said...

So Keie finally's getting a blog. Awesome. And yeah, drug song for sure.

Marissa: You're welcome! And no pun taken!

Chris said...

"We haven't had that spirit here since 1969..."

Says it all to me. Mental asylum.

What kind of hotel doesn't have every spirit under the sun? And if it was hell ... they'd have lots of spirits to go round.

joe said...

See? Exactly.

Keith said...

I always we heard growing up that this was a Satanic song.

Retro Hound said...

Keith and I had very similar upbringings. I've heard it was a mental institution, a drug song or a song glorifying Satan worship. (1969 being the year Anton Levay (sp?) founded the Church of Satan or something like that ..."just can't kill the beast" etc.)

And I always thought it was "definitely twisted" also.

joe said...

Keith: Satanic??? No way!! (c:

Retro: I only found out it was "tiffany twisted" because i looked it up. i always thought it was "definitely" too, although definitely never seemed to fit right when i sang it, it seemed too many syllables.

Marissa said...

Hmmm... try singing it like this:

"dfntly twisted"? Much better? :D

joe said...

Yeah, that's how I used to think it was, too.

joe said...

But it's not.

Redsoxfan said...

I love the song, but I heard it was a song about being on LSD, or heroine, you get hooked and can't get off thats the not checking out, and can't kill the beast, the habit is the beast you can't kill. Don't know.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails